Sponge gourd can easily grow in containe The seed packet contains approximately 35 seeds.
Sponge gourd is one of the popular vegetables similar to ridge gourd. The only difference is sponge gourd has a smooth surface. Sponge gourd belongs to the family of,Cucurbitaceae, and genus of,Luffa, .
Fully ripe sponge gourds have a high volume of fibrous which is being used as cleansing agent (utensils) and making shoe-soles, table mats. This vegetable is cultivated in most of the states in India.
|Seeds per Packet||35|
|Common Name||Sponge gourd, Gilki / Chikni Turai, Luffa|
|Height||Up to 30 ft|
|Bloom Time||Summer, Rainy season, Winter|
|Difficulty Level||Easy to grow|
Planting And Care
- Luffa can also be grown in containers around 5-gallon size
- Containers must have good drainage and cant be moved once the vines attach tendrils to other objects
Sponge Gourd Jaipur Long Care
- At the time of bed preparation, FYM should be mixed with soil for good yield
- Seeds are sown directly on the bed or pot
- They should be planted 2 cm deep in the bed or pots
- Plastic wrap can be used for mulching purpose to control the weed and water loss
- They should be planted 2 cm deep in pots
|Soil||Well-drained loamy soil with 6.5 to 7 pH level|
|Temperature||25 to 30 degree C|
|Fertilizer||Use any organic fertilizer.|
|Harvest Season||Summer, Rainy season, Winter|
Sponge Gourd Jaipur Long Special Feature
Songe gourd is required low investment and it can be grown year long with high yields in short duration period.
Sponge Gourd Jaipur Long Uses
- Contain vitamin A and C
- Tender fruits are used for cooking purpose