Black pepper is a flowering vine, cultivated for its fruit, which is usually dried and used as a spice and seasoning. When dried, the fruit is known as a peppercorn.
|1||Piper nigrum, Kali Mirch – Plant|
|2||5 inch (13 cm) Grower Round Plastic Pot (Black)|
Piper nigrum, Kali Mirch is a perennial woody spreading vine. It starts rooting readily where trailing stems touch the ground. The leaves are 5 to 10 cm long and 3 to 6 cm broad. The flowers are small and spherical fruits that ripen red. Indoor houseplants will not usually produce fruit.
The plants may bear fruit from the fourth or fifth year, and then typically for seven yea
|Plant Height||17 inch (43 cm)|
|Plant Spread||6 inch (15 cm)|
|Common Name||Common pepper, Kali mirch, Kali miri|
|Maximum Reachable Height||Up to 4 m|
|Difficulty Level||Easy to grow|
Planting And Care
- The vines need to be trained early when they are young so tie or just weave them through trellis sections.
- It is best to grow under trees as they provide shade and need to plant in free ventilation.
- Apply leaf mulch and manure.
- It is beneficial if shoots are pruned twice a year.
- Fertilize the plant in spring just before new growth appea
- Watch for aphids on indoor plants and use soap water spray or Eucalyptus oil, Neem oil, and Citrus oil etc.
- Do not over water as plant roots may rot.
Piper Nigrum Care
It is extensively cultivated there and elsewhere in tropical regions. A plant can be grown in soil that is neither too dry nor susceptible to flooding, moist, well-drained and rich in organic matter. It is best grown in sun-dappled areas or areas with a bright indirect sun.
Sunlight Partial shade Watering Medium Soil Rich potting soil with good drainage Temperature 12 to 32 degrees C Fertilizer Use any organic fertilizer. Harvest Season Harvest when the first fruits begin to turn red.
Piper Nigrum Special Feature
Black pepper is the worlds most traded spice.
Piper Nigrum Uses
- It may be grown in containers as a houseplant with an attached trellis or in a hanging basket
- It is used in folk medicine
- was believed to cure several illnesses, such as constipation, insomnia, oral abscesses, sunburn, and toothaches etc
- Note: Please consult your health expert
- Famous spice