If you have space to spare, make an impressive display in your balcony, outdoor garden with a great eye-catcher Clitoria Ternatea, Gokarna (Blue) – Plant.
What makes it special:
- One of the best flowering plants.
- Perfect plant for outdoor garden and sunny balcony.
- Its elegent flower will increase the ornamental look of your house.
- Requires very less care and maintainance.
|1||Clitoria Ternatea, Gokarna (Blue) – Plant|
|2||5 inch (13 cm) Grower Round Plastic Pot (Black)|
Clitoria ternatea a perennial leguminous flowering herb belonging to the Fabaceae family and commonly known as blue pea, butterfly pea and Darwin pea.This wonderful twining plant generously bears quite large flowers which are a beautiful shade of vivid cobalt blue with a white throat.
The flowers are presented upside down – the keel petal appears on the top rather than the underside.It produces slender new annual stems that grow up to 3 metres long from the woody base each year.
|Plant Height||12 inch (30 cm)|
|Plant Spread||5 inch (13 cm)|
|Common Name||Asian pigeonwings, bluebellvine, blue pea, butterfly pea, cordofan pea and Darwin pea, Aparajita, Gokarna.|
|Maximum Reachable Height||15 to 25 feet|
|Difficulty Level||Easy to grow.|
Planting And Care
Refer our Garden Guide for detailed procedures and meanings of words related to gardening.
- Keep the plant outdoor with bright direct natural light.
- The soil should be well drained and rich in organic content for growing Gokarna plant.
- Water the plant when the top soil (1-2 inch) in pot feels dry to touch.
- Do not overwater the plant.
- Water thoroughly in the summer and reduce watering in winter and rainy season.
Application of Fertilizer
- During the main growing season (April – August) feed the Gokarna plant with organic fertilizer once a month.
- Loosen the topsoil without disturbing the roots of the plant so it can uptake the nutrients and moisture easily.
- When a plant outgrows in current pot, re-pot with fresh potting soil and some fertilizer.
- Do the re-potting late evening and keep the plant in a shady area for 2 to 3 days and then move the plant in its suitable climatic condition.
For re-potting procedure click here
- Remove dead, infected or damaged plant parts and discard them away from the plants.
- For any insect attack or disease, you can use Neem oil, Eucalyptus oil or Citrus oil spray for primary treatment.
- Do not overwater the plant especially when pot does not have drainage holes.
- Avoid applying water on flowers and leaves it may cause fungus infection.
Clitoria Ternatea Care
Initial care for 1-2 weeks after receiving plant at your location:
- Check the moisture in the soil before watering it.
- Poke your finger into the soil, if dry then apply water.
- Keep the plant in indirect bright light.
- Do not re-pot immediately after receiving it.
Key requirements to keep plant healthy:
|Sunlight||Bright natural light.|
|Soil||Well-draining and nutrient-rich.|
|Temperature||19 to 28 degrees C.|
|Fertilizer||Apply any organic fertilizer.|
Clitoria Ternatea Special Feature
Grown on a support such as a trellis. Weave through a hedge.
Clitoria Ternatea Uses
- The plant is used for an ornamental purpose
- The flowers are mixed with water in a preparation used to treat eye problems
- The roots are bitter, powerfully cathartic, diuretic and purgative
- The seeds contain fixed oil, a bitter resinous principle, and tannins
- Note: Note: The following information is general guidelines, be sure to ask your healthcare provider for guidelines